Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Springtime Thoughts

Each year at this time my thoughts turn to a great little weekend getaway that Tracy and I took a few years back to Petoskey, Michigan. It is the summer home of the great writer, Earnest Hemingway. I was moved, after our trip to write a poem about our experience there. I present it here for your perusal.

Springtime in Petoskey

Naked ski slopes, their white robes cast aside,
Silent chairs await next year's ascension,

Water tumbling toward the inlet bay,
Beneath a verdant lawn where lovers stroll,

Dinner at Nick Adam's favorite bar,

His pen silent; his voice resounding still,

Among the rocks my lover and I walked,

Renewed friendship, whispering life and love,

Attentions restored and affections breathed,

Earnestly.

Springtime in Petoskey, springtime in my heart.

No comments: