Tuesday, February 24, 2009

This never gets old!

Tonight I shared the gospel with a woman that has been attending our church for the last several months. She grew up in a home where perfection was the expectation. She grew up in a home where feelings were not expressed because being "in control" at all times was required. She grew up in a home without Jesus.

When I shared with her that we cannot be perfect and God knows that, when I told her that we don't have to be perfect because "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us," she had tears in her eyes. When I explained to her that "all have sinned and come short of the glory of God" and that "the wages of sin are death," she understood that her sin has earned eternal separation from God. And when I told her that, in spite of what we have earned the "gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord," she nodded with deep appreciation for the price that God paid for her sins.

When I told her that the Bible teaches, "if we confess with our mouth and believe in our heart that Jesus is Lord we will be saved," she said, "I believe." When I explained repentance to her and told her that she could stop being "in control" and give Jesus control over her life, she flushed with excitement. When I told her that she could "repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sin and the gift of the Holy Spirit," she said, "I am ready."

When I explained the beautiful picture of immersion that Paul paints in Romans 6; the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; the washing away of sin; the rebirth to live and walk in newness of life, she said "when?"

This Sunday. In front of a whole church full of people that she is just getting to know, she is going to say that she believes that Jesus is God's Son, that she wants him to be her savior and then she is going to be immersed.

This never gets old. Never.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank, that's awesome!