Saturday, March 26, 2011

30 things that thrill me - Day 12

Little kids that memorize movie lines.

Regularly readers of Frankly Speaking (I think there are four or five) will recall that I am a substitute school bus driver. After a year of subbing at Holt Schools, I just recently began having some really good conversations with my co-workers. They've begun asking questions about theology and sharing things they would like me to pray about. The Kingdom of God right there in the break room. I think that is where Jesus would be.

Not that it is without frustration. Yesterday I was taking a bus load of elementary students home and it wasn't going well. I am handed a route sheet with the names and addresses of students as well as directions for the route. The problem is, I don't know which students are on, and which students are not.

It is a Friday afternoon, so the students are amped up. I arrive at my first stop and activate my warning lights only to hear, "They aren't on." I proceed. Next stop - same thing. Third stop, ditto. I can see that it is going to take a long time to get home, so I ask if there is a student helper that would like to assist me. Someone volunteers, but it turns out that she doesn't know Jefferson from Washington - the Presidents or the streets. Frustration builds. I am tense.

Then Matt, a kid with autism stands up. I see him in the mirror and am about to tell him to be seated when he looks at me and, with his best Emperor Palpatine voice says, "I feel your anger."

The kid just cracks me up.

I look at him and gravely intone, "I am a Jedi," and then waving my hand from left to right, "But you don't believe me." He replies, "Commander, you may fire when ready."

Now I am a little worried. Maybe he is a Jedi. For the rest of the trip Matt is quoting star wars lines and even cackling like the Emperor in Revenge of the Sith.

What a great afternoon.

No comments: